If you’re a lover of food and you don’t give a thing for the usual Chinese banquet dishes; abalone, steamed fish and the lot, then serving up a buffet for the guests may be ideal. But what if you by setting up DIY food stations so you’ve got one area for ultimate burger bar and another for your favourite dessert bar? Not only will you create a talking point (“How unconventional is this wedding? How cool is this couple?”) but your guests will leave with a very happy stomach as they can pick and choose what they want to eat. Think it’s a tad too casual and not fancy pancy enough for your glamorous day but love the concept? Get your friends to build one for you at your bridal shower. No one said you’re only allowed a tea party.
What’s in a Burger Bar?
1. Meat! Cater for all so have the caterer serve up some beef, chicken, lamb, fish as well as a veggie option for the non-meat eaters. Give it some pizzaz with barbecued pulled pork.
2. Veg. The usual lettuce and tomatoes. Add some sweetness with some caramelised onions. Mushrooms, coleslaw and pickles.
3. Toppings. Cheese and lots of it. Cheddar, blue cheese and for the kiddies, swiss cheese. Crispy bacon for that extra crunch.
4. Fries. Chips (for the Brits). Curly, wedges, thin-cut.
5. Sauce. Ketchup (make sure it’s Heinz), barbecue sauce, mustard, mayo or get your caterer to create a sweet pickled relish.